FitClimb

About a year ago I read Ed Viesturs "No Shortcuts to the Top", in it he describes climbing all 14 of the 8000ers.  He called it Endeavor 8000, the endeavor to safely climb the worlds highest peaks.  This book  gave me high respect for Mr. Viesturs in how he prepares, trains and  his intense drive.  I knew then that I would love to fulfill my dream of climbing a mountain.  Now I have a problem, I weigh 310 pounds and live in Missouri.  Those are two things that do not go with mountaineering.  
I have always loved mountaineering.  But, in my present shape I need a sherpa to get me to the top of the stairs, let a lone climbing a mountain.  So, stealing the term from Mr. Viesturs I am going to start Endeavor 100.  To lose 100 to 90 pounds and make a life change.  I know this is going to be a huge shock to the system.  I realize that there will be plenty opportunities to fail.  I must take this challenge one step at a time, one pound at a time.  
The end goal is to climb Mt. Rainier.  Then.....who knows, there is no limit to what I want to accomplish.  
Sorry if this is not what this site is about.  I just need to get this down on "paper".  

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jess,

My hats off to you, it takes guts to stick your neck out and let everyone know your goals, but I've found that doing it increases your chance of success, so your on the right track. I wish you all the success, it's going to be a long climb, stay in it for the long haul, take breaks when needed, and don't be afraid to lean on others for help. Keep us in the loop on your progress. BTW- Ed's a great guy, I've heard him speak at a book signing and had the luck to attempt a Mt. Baker summit with him and others about 10 years back , we got weathered out and didn't make the top but learned a great deal from him.

Ali
Thank you, I know it is going to be hard. But, I am up for the challenge. I will keep a log on here to keep everyone informed, but mostly to show myself were I am going. There is a reason that when someone shares their deepest personal goals they are more successful, you look like a blow hard when you don't follow through. I appreciate this site you have provided, and I thank you for giving me a platform to make my dreams come true.
Jess,

Congrats on the progress. Bell Mt. Wilderness would be a cool reward for yourself. We don't see many deciduous trees up in WA and I miss the fall colors, they should be great at that time.

-Ali

RSS

Free Training plans:
Hiking and Backpacking
6 week beginner plan

General Mountaineering:
Intermediate Plan 12 weeks

Mt. Rainier 12 week plan:

Mount Rainier Training Plan

8 Month Mountaineering Training & Fitness Plan

Meal Plans:
Backpacking and Climbing Meal Plans