FitClimb

Hi Everyone, Like many of you, I face the challenges of an aging body. I'm 60, and interested in getting in as many outdoor adventures as my work commitments, and physical capacity permits.

My most recent outing of substance was a trekking trip in 2013 to Nepal trekking around Manasalu and over the Laryka Pass (about 5200m from memory) and then to Island Peak in the Khumbu region. That was my 6th trip to Nepal. I was fit, and had greatly benefited from the 12 week programme suggested by this site. But there were days when I felt "I'm too old for this". My knees were sore and I just felt exhausted.

But in the comfort of my home, I've pretty much forgotten the discomfort of past trips and am hesitantly contemplating Baruntse. I'ts much higher than I've been in the past and it's a tough trek to get there. And I've yet to see how my body takes to training, particularly the knees.

Happy to receive feedback as I need all the encouragement that I can get.

Views: 325

Replies to This Discussion

Stephen,

60 is the new 40.  I'm 43 and every time I go on a big climb I have the same discomfort on way down and exhausted but within 3 days at the office already planning the next trip.  I think the decision on Baruntse is a personal one you'd figure out, but either way I encourage you to keep trekking/climbing and adventuring.  I don't remember too many of my days in the office but remember each of my trips to the mountains and the people.  

Cheers,

Ali

Hi Stephen, I'm almost 64 (64 is the new 59), I considered Barunste a few years ago.  My most recent high altitude trip was to 5,500 m. (18,000 ft) in Peru in 2012. I simply have a lot of overuse injuries and age related degeneration I'm dealing with.  We're having a great snow year here in California so I am trying get back in climbing shape after 5 months of knee problems.  I don't want to aggravate the injuries.  We're heading to Lassen NP for weekend backcountry play; keeping fingers crossed.

Hi Michael,

I think we've just got to keep at it, putting up with discomfort.

I trekked about 20 km yesterday. No problem with the distance but my knees hurt during a long steep descent. I started wondering whether I'd be up to Baruntse, or any long trek involving high and low ascents. Problem is, in Australia, it's not easy to replicate conditions.

I'll be continuing my training and attempt some long hard walks to really test out my knees before booking the Baruntse expedition. I have a sense of limited time for serious adventure travel involving strength and endurance. The years fly by so quickly now. But I remain inspired by Tennyson's Ulysses:

"

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield"

By the way, I looked up Lassen NP on the internet... beautiful place!

RSS

Free Training plans:
Hiking and Backpacking
6 week beginner plan

General Mountaineering:
Intermediate Plan 12 weeks

Mt. Rainier 12 week plan:

Mount Rainier Training Plan

8 Month Mountaineering Training & Fitness Plan

Meal Plans:
Backpacking and Climbing Meal Plans

© 2024   Created by Ali Alami.   Powered by